Between spotty internet access and attending conferences (my presentation is over! it went well!), I'm a week late in posting these.
If you were wondering about our route, here it is (the letters are the overnight stops):
Our trip across the Karoo is better told in pictures than words, I think.
Karoo (kəˈruː): a semi-desert natural region of South Africa
[from Afrikaans karo, probably from Khoikhoi garo desert]
But first, some pictures of our morning in magical Clarens. It was a raining and overcast morning, so we opted to hang around town and save exploration of the beautiful mountains around Clarens for our next visit (which I hope is soon).
William loves anything with a steering wheel.
Curing biltong, the South African version of jerky (and something of a national obsession).
Clarens was a fun town for a foodie like me.
And also a fun town for a shopper like me.
As we drove away from the mountains and into the vast dry expanse of the Karoo, the colors changed from green to brown.
We spent our second night on the road in a dusty, middle-of-nowhere town that seemed to exist for the sole purpose of catering to travelers like us who were driving across the vast middle of the country. Before we hit the road our second morning, we let William play at being a blind driver.
I won't lie, those 700 km straight down the N1 highway got a little dull. But the last 100 km or so before we got to Cape Town, with fertile valleys and vineyards nestled between majestic mountains, were so spectacularly beautiful that I forgave the N1 for its previous monotony. Please ignore the fact that some photos that are obviously taken through a dirty windshield; we don't stop for pictures on these South African roads.









































No comments:
Post a Comment