The 18-hour flight had been largely uneventful (thanks be to
God!). William had charmed our
entire side of the plane and only cried a few times in the early morning hours
when he was trying to go to sleep but having trouble. I didn’t even watch one movie the entire flight, as is my
usual habit on trans-Atlantic flights.
I was so tired that I slept whenever I could in between tending to
William. After landing in
Johannesburg, jovially being moved to the front of the customs line on account
of the baby with us, having a disagreement over the tip with a porter who was
pushing our luggage cart, we waited in the wrong place for well over an hour
for our hotel shuttle. Well,
actually we were in the right place, but the shuttle driver could not get his
airport badge to work, so he was picking up passengers in a different place
that was outside the airport bus terminal. That was when it hit me, standing outside the bus terminal
in the Johannesburg airport, that we were not in the US any more and would not be
going back anytime soon.
Of course, in America, the solution to the problem I
described would be to print out signs, even ones crudely made if necessary,
that briefly described the problem and pointed to where the pickup would
occur. Of course, this is a
perfectly reasonable solution if the over-riding objective is for people to be
able to find their way by themselves without having to ask anyone for
help. I’ve learned in my travels
that in other parts of the world, people do not even remotely think this
way. Rather, the assumption is
that people will talk to one another and figure things out collectively – which
is precisely what happened. It
simply took a lot of time. Here’s
what happened: after we had waited about an hour (and a collection of others
were starting to congregate who were waiting for the same shuttle), one of the
porters who was buzzing around helping people with their luggage noticed that
we had been standing there for an awfully long time without being taken away by
one of the many shuttle busses going to and from the terminal. He asked us where we wanted to go, I
said, “The Life Hotel,” and he said, “OK, it is coming.”
After about ten minutes, he noticed
that we still weren’t gone, so he asked us again where we were going. I responded the same way, and he said,
“I will go find out.” He
disappeared and came back a few minutes later describing the problem with the
driver’s security badge. He didn’t
know exactly where the driver would come, but he said that he would find
out. It took about ten more
minutes, but he was true to his word.
He found out where the bus would come, alerted us when it arrived, and
helped us get around the corner to the correct area to get the bus. And of course, in return for his help,
I gave him a tip. It’s what makes
the wheels of African society (and others around the world as well) go round;
but it is most definitely not the American way. I suppose folks could debate about which way is better, but
that would probably be a fruitless exercise. Hence my “culture adaptation” mantra, learned through a good
many cultural mis-haps in life: It’s not
good or bad, it’s just different. (Funny enough, I heard this saying first from an African, talking about adjusting to American culture!)
No comments:
Post a Comment